Wednesday, May 27, 2009

240 Prop H8


I won't claim to be up on all the political jargon of the day. I don't watch CNN and FoxNews from sun-up to sundown (more like Spongebob and Hannah), but I will tell you this... California has let us all down. Even the people who are feeling vindicated in the decision to uphold Prop H8. Why you ask? Because we are HUMAN. We are PEOPLE! We all have a right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. Sure, the Bible says that homosexuality is wrong. OR DOES IT?? There are many interpretations of the Bible, and if you want to look into one regarding homosexuality and the Bible then please visit this Wikipedia link. And no, I am not gay. I am not trying to defend my own way of life, but I am defending the lives of my friends. I am defending the lives of your fellow Americans. You know, America ... Land of the Free and Home of the Brave!!?? So why do we repress a segment of our population? Does it make you a better person to turn your back on those who are in same-sex relationships? You want to thump your Bible? How about this one ...

JUDGE NOT LEST YE BE JUDGED Matthew 7:1
or if you need the whole text :
1 Judge not, that ye be not judged.
2 For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again.
3 And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?
4 Or how wilt thou say to thy brother, Let me pull out the mote out of thine eye; and, behold, a beam is in thine own eye?
5 Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye.
6 Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast ye your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn again and rend you

Above all, the Bible teaches us to love one another. To accept one another. Do you think that you will convince someone to "reform their wicked ways"? Do you think that they have chosen homosexuality. Oh sure, it is super glamorous, and who doesn't love to be persecuted?! God created them as surely as He created you and me. Remember that the next time you turn up your nose. Or how about this, remember that the next time you bow your head.

**This blog DOES reflect my personal beliefs. I stand by these words. I know that there are some who read this blog that will disagree with me. You are entitled to your beliefs. As for me, I will continue to believe in LOVE!**

Let he who is without sin cast the first stone ...

5 comments:

BenLand said...

you said it girl! i can not understand the hate some people hold in their hearts for people that are different then they are.....whether it be ethnicity or sexuality.....we're all creatures of God....
great words....great post.

Scott said...

I have to disagree with you on part of this. I have no problem with homosexuals getting health insurance and other benefits afforded to a spouse. I would not want to prevent them from life, liberty, or the persuit of happiness. However, marriage is an institution ordained by God, not the state of California (or the Federal gov't for that matter). "God created them male and female" in the beginning. It is man who makes the choice to be in a relationship with someone of the same sex. Defend your friends all you want, but it is still sin. You should still be friends with them and show them the love of Christ, but you should not sugar-coat it to make them feel better. That would be like telling an adulterer that it's OK for them to continue doing what they're doing.

Pamela Detlor said...

Great post! So true - many twist the words of the Bible to suit their needs.

Scott,
God never said a Woman couldn't lay with a woman. NOWHERE is that in the Bible. So I guess it's ok to be a lesbian?

Re: comparing being queer to Adultery: Spare me. I've never cheated on anyone. Judgement is a sin - I guess your judgement and superior thinking makes you a sinner too. Since all sins are equal: I guess you have things to answer for at judgement day.

Somehow, I think loving someone wont be looked upon as harshly as judging an entire group of people.

There was a time the Bible said Blacks & Whites couldn't marry: According to Christianity and Government. That was overturned. I wonder if we were in the 60's if you'd be making these same arguments against inter racial marriage?

I pray that the love of Christ shines on you as it does me. I also hope you find your way.

Peace & Light,
Pamela

Kathleen said...

Great blog.... If you have ever grown up with someone who is gay you will know it is not a choice someone makes to be gay but it's just the way they are. I highly doubt anyone would choose to be looked down upon, be judged constantly, hated by some and having to fight for equal rights. Personally, I'd love to be gay...just think of how much more stylish, creative, loving, thought provoking and open minded I'd be but I'm not. I am a straight married woman who loves equally and truly believes we should love one another equally and treat each other with respect. I love my gay friends and wouldn't change a thing about them but I do wish I could change the ignorance in others.

Just Me Again said...

I just think that, like Mother Teresa once said, "If you judge people, you have no time to love them.”

Gay and straight, we are all humans. Equally made of the same stuff. Just like African Americans, Mexicans, Jewish, French, you name it. We are all loved by our creator in the very same way. I am a straight, Mexican born, Christian (raised Catholic) who has an uncle who is gay as well as many friends of MANY races, cultural backgrounds and religious believes. And I love them all in the exact same way. Okay, except mean and evil people (I avoid those like the plague.)

I firmly believe that the Bible tells us to love one another and to NOT judge anyone. I just do what I'm told. And when I think of what Jesus would do, I am certain he would be right here reminding us of the same; love above all without judgement.

Great post!