Sunday, March 29, 2009

185 UrbanScrawl Part 1, with words and pictures

Alright, now it is time to write (I will be sprinkling in some repeat pictures from the last post to illustrate)...
My Shutter Buddy Candy (one of these days I will just say Candy and expect you to know who I am talking about, but I am still convinced no one reads this, so I have to keep explaining) is a photography student at the University of Memphis, and every once in a while she involves me in her assignments. This past week her assignment was "urban impact" or something along those lines. I'm not in the class, I don't really have to know. She wanted to go downtown and take some shots of graffiti, but she did NOT want to go downtown alone! That is where I come in :) Although we ended up not being in a very rough part of town. The first building that we took pictures of was right across the street from brand new townhomes. And I mean NICE townhomes. Also, there was a wreck at the end of the block, so convenient policemen as well. Yes Mom, you can calm down now.
Originally, we just hopped out to take some pictures of the side of the building. We came around the corner and saw all those doors leaning against the walls, and bricks and paint! Purely great! Only thing that would have made it better was if the sun had been on the proper side, but you can't have everything. So, we walked all along the side, taking pictures of the graffiti, laughing at the poor guy with the backwards J in TROJAN and the tag that said "Shoot Yourself". But we noticed more graffiti and a cool alcove across the street, so we had to investigate. It was definitely someone's "home", or at least it had been. At one point I stepped over a deflated air mattress, a pillow, and some lotion. It was such a huge jumble of trash that I could have been standing in the bedroom or the bathroom ... ok, so the bed was a giveaway, but my point is that it was NASTY! And then we went around the corner and received our VD Street training ... Then we headed back to the car, but I had to check out the OTHER side of the building, and I am so glad I did! It had two trees growing out of the brick! Actual trees! How long has a building stood empty for trees to grow? Complete with birds, no less. Yes, that lump toward the bottom of the trunk is a bird :)

And then there was the graffiti with a nicer message ...
and really this might be Memphis's new motto. There is a huge revitalizing effort going on in the downtown area. The slummy streets right off the river are getting a swift kick into a higher tax bracket. These old warehouses and factories are going to be lofts. I wish I had the money to invest! How cool would this building be made into loft spaces?? Anyone wanna loan me some money??


Even cooler, the trolley goes right in front of it! There is a little park to the right, and more new gorgeous homes! Seriously, who is ready to invest?

And just because I love ya, and everyone loves a trolley ... here is a bonus super played with shot. It is my current screensaver I love it so much!


And of course, that is still not all the pics from our little photocation in the ghetto (I had to say it, this is Elvis World!) Maybe I will throw up another slideshow. Really, I can't wait to get back downtown and take some more pictures. Sure wish we had a chaperone though :)

6 comments:

Linda Woods said...

Did you go for treats after your photo adventure? You need a pastry after an exhilerating photo even like this!WOW! I am jealous.
You also need a shower and perhaps a shot, but don't worry.

Linda Woods said...

EVENT like this.

cjaxon said...

So sad, but no treats ...
We had to get home to kiddos so we didn't even stop! I did get shots though :)

Kath said...

I love these kinds of photos, there is beauty in the rawness of the graffiti and decay.

Heather said...

This is something I've been wanting to do! I need to get me a shutter buddy and loiter down town:) Thanks for stopping by my blog. I do love this dandelion-loving stage!

A said...

I love the first and second pictures! The doors are great! I got a photo yesterday (that I LOVE) that would fit nicely into the assignment. I'll post it soon :) Great pictures!