Thursday, December 11, 2008

132 The 70's are Calling ...

I decided to run into the Salvation Army on the way home from the eye doctor yesterday. I have been searching for a cool chair to use for pictures. You know, to drag out into a field. So it should be fancy and upholstered. I can't find what I am looking for. Maybe because I am hoping to find it for 20 bucks or less. The two chairs I have seen at SA were both GOLD. I went back to see if they had the first chair I saw, but it was gone ... that is when I saw the other golden chair. Still, not what I was looking for so I let them stay. On the way out I walked back to the BricABrac (yeah, that is what it rings up as). There, sitting on the top of a pile just waiting for me to see it, was this ...

We have always had these ornaments on our tree!! There is no way I could leave it laying there all forlorn. Now I just have to decide whether to open the package and make them, or keep them sealed up and pristine. What do ya think?

I had to take a turn by the dresses. I keep hoping to find a wedding dress to make someone wear so I can take pictures. That is when I noticed a hideous collor of brown hanging out by the whites. And with lace and ribbon. I had to see it closer! There was another woman walking righ tin front of it, and I was silently hoping she did not grab it before I could. She got right past it, and I grabbed it. Just as she turned to look at it too. Too bad, it was in my hands! Neither one of could actually fit in it, but we both agreed it was a great/weird dress. I am guessing it was a bridesmaid dress. What other function would call for such a marvelous dress? 70's brown velveteen! Floor length, empire waist, with lace at the flared cuffs?!!? Now, if I can just find someone willing to dress up in it and walk around looking like a fool. Maybe downtown Memphis ...

It says it is a 7/8 but I am guessing that will translate to more of a 5/6 in today's sizing. There is a stain on the skirt, but I think I can get it out. How much did I spend on this peice of marvelousness? Three dollars and fifty cents! Yeah, $3.50! It was half price clothing day at the SA, and I could not leave this dress behind. Though I don't know if I would have paid the whole $7 for it ... Now, is there anyone out there in blogland that wants to model this for me and my Shutterbuddy? Come on, you know you wanna! Hmmm, wonder what kind of shoes you would have worn with this dress?

I need to make it down Hernando way to the Goodwill Bargain Barn ... or whatever it is called here. That sounds like a fun trip!

4 comments:

Tracy said...

The SA in Pontotoc had a "bag sale" the first Friday of every month. When you walked in the door they gave you a kitchen size trash bag. You could put as little as you wanted or fill it to the top but either way you payed $8.00 for your bag. It was great! I don't know if they have it there but I just wanted to pass that along.

Anonymous said...

you've got to make the ornaments. you cant leave them in the package. those are the exact ones we made when we were kids...how cool is that.

And yes, I'll model the dress.

jb

cjaxon said...

I will certainly bring it to Atlanta when we come. I would love to see your skinny wrists sticking out of those cuffs!

Anonymous said...

I will model it for you anytime.