Monday, August 25, 2008

82 Up and Running

The computer that is .... I think my body would go into shock if I took a run right now. Well, that and the fact it is about midnight, so shock might be the least of my body's worries. Found out tonight that a 19 year old was shot and killed in the park behind our house!! One of the neighbors called to see if I knew why there were 5 police cars on the street, and she decided to ask them on her way down to pick up my sewing machine. No details, just that basic information. I tried to look it up online, but I have not found any stories about a shooting. How terrifying is that?!?!? Takes the safe feeling away in a hurry. Makes me want to put the house on the market and run away, but in this market who would buy it? And where would we run to, everywhere has crime. I just want to have more details!! I want to know if it was an argument, if it was drugs, if it was gang related. I need to know if this is something that will be a recurring thing. I need to know that my babies will be safe. I need a 20 foot steel wall around my house!!
When we were looking out the front door at the police cars, Katie saw a FROG! And she freaked out! She wanted me to pick her up, and I think she scared the poor frog because he hopped as fast as he could INTO OUR HOUSE!! And then I had to get him out. First he was under the chest of drawers thing, and I got my hands on him but he made this squeaky squeal sound and I dropped him - so I could squeal as well. And then he went under the toy box, which was not too bad, but when I was moving stuff to get to him ... he hopped behind the TV armoire. Like I could move that behemoth! I finally got him shooed out into the open, and I got him to hop into a big cup, and then I got the slimey squishy thing outside. I may not be scared like Katie, but I don't especially like having to handle frogs. I think it goes back to my childhood when we were always told that warts came from frog pee. I know they don't, but still makes me squirm thinking about it. And it does not help that they are so darn squishy. I am always afraid they will pop! Eeeewwww!!!
So, all in all, a pretty unsettling night.

1 comments:

Tracy said...

How terrifying!!! And practically in your backyard!!! Please let me know details about the shooting. I am always afraid that some of my former students could be involved in drugs, gangs, etc.