Thursday, December 23, 2010

416 Santa Jones

I commented on a blog earlier today at Funky Junk Interiors (it also enters you to win a $50 gift card to Home Goods) that asked what I loved most about Christmas as a kid, and it reminded me of what I remember was truly great about Christmas when I was a kid.
It was the anticipation.
It was gifts wrapped under the tree.
Hours spent weighing the presents in my hands, shaking them gently, and even sometimes giving them a little sniff.
Every year my Mom would warn us not to expect too much. She was (and is) a single mom, and she sacrificed so much year round to give us what we needed, so I can only imagine what a stretch it was to get us what we WANTED!! Each Christmas we were cautioned not to be disappointed.
Know what? We never were.
I need to remember that.
I think one of the things that has me so down this Christmas is the worry that my kids will be disappointed with their gifts. Like most people in this country we are swirling deeper and deeper into debt. For some reason an 8 year old and a 3 year old don't quite grasp the seriousness of our economic woes.
Am I the one making this about material gain?
Will the kids be as ecstatic as I was over whatever they get?!
I bet they will be.
Connor would be happy with just a single new thing. He doesn't get the whole greed thing yet ... well, not completely. Katie is getting what she asked for plus some extra. She really didn't ask for anything crazy. 
Maybe it is time to stop trying to keep up with the Santa Jones's.

0 comments: