Wednesday, November 4, 2009

312 It Ain't Baby Fat, Baby

A couple of weeks ago Connor turned two. It was a very sad day for me. My baby is growing up. He is becoming more independent. He is starting to tell us NO on a regular basis. He has even started making moves toward potty training. These are not the reasons that made me the most sad. That reason was this ...

I CAN NO LONGER USE THE "I JUST HAD A BABY" EXCUSE

That chapter of my life is probably closed. I can't point at my little man and blame him for my extra cushioning. At some point it became my fault that I had not dropped the weight when he was born. To be honest, I do blame the fact he was born in early October. I had to eat my way through Halloween, Thanksgiving and Chistmas right after he was born. Fun-size candy bars and Chex Mix sapped my will to resist. And it really wasn't so bad until I was looking through old pics that were posted on facebook... GASP! What in the heck did I do to myself??!! I used to be an athlete! Oh the shame .. almost made me grab an ice cream sandwich, but instead I decided that it is time to hit the track behind the house. I did great ... for a few days. And then ... And then the track looked like this, for almost a week. I really miss that 18 year old body, but not enough to go slogging through that huge puddle.

And then it cleared up, and Monday was GLORIOUS! I went to lunch with Katie and then Connor and I walked/jogged the track. Connor wishes I ran more, but he made it through unscathed. He even fell asleep in the stroller, so I decided to head in. How gorgeous is this? This is the branch that hangs over the path that I almost smack my head on every lap.

I could duck, or snap it off, or any multitude of things, but I just leave it there, dangling into the path. Oh well, makes it a bit easier to count laps, as long as you don't poke out an eye.

I did take a before pic, just in case I ever need it. But really, the only before pic that matters is this one ... Ahhh, high school. How I wish I had realized back then how hot I was ... I thought I was fat. And now I scoff at that idea. One day I hope to be as fat as I was in this pic!

So, feel free to ask how the workouts are going ... it may prod me in the right direction. Right now I am realizing that I definitely do not have those 18 year old knees ... OUCH!

Now to adopt a new mantra ... (an oldie but a goodie) No Pain, No Gain!

Wish me luck (I NEED IT)!

We are trying to get together a little motivational group on Twitter. If you are needing a little push, please find me on there @cjaxon . If you are trying to sell something, no thanks. We are wanting to get healthy the old fashioned way, with sweat and determination.

3 comments:

Kathleen said...

You can do it!!!!! I shall be your guide!! One foot in front of the other, the days you don't feel like running just walk, just take it up a notch and not saunter. 20 minutes a day, lots of water. Pick a day that will be your rest day!!!

Linda Woods said...

I'm still using the "i just had a baby" excuse. My kid is just always with his father or on a play date.

April said...

good luck! my first was born in november and i just had my third two weeks ago... so i totally know what you mean about eating your way through the holidays after having a baby... probably the hardest time of year to recover!!!