Monday, November 29, 2010

407 I Have (crafty) Trust Issues

Ever since I have been sick I have not picked up a paint brush, but the other day I was feeling the urge to play with some paint. In order to do that I had to uncover my paints and brushes in my "craft room" ... and I do mean UNCOVER. My "craft room" also tends to become the dump room. You can't find a place for it? Stick it in Mom's room. I am the guiltiest at doing this. So, underneath Connor's outgrown clothes and a pile of random craft material I found my paints and brushes. One of the random craft products I found was a stack of chipboard alphabets I had purchased back when I thought scrapbooking was what I wanted to do (luckily all those supplies are coming in handy for mixed media work). It gave me an idea, so I grabbed a set and headed downstairs to play.

I usually paint trees that have lost their leaves, but I am feeling all "second chancey" lately, so I thought I would paint a tree budding with renewed life. Just as winter is truly hitting down South we need a reminder of Spring anyway.

I adhered the letters to my 6"x6" canvas with E6000. That is some pretty heavy duty adhesive. Most people would probably just continue on from there, but as I mentioned, I have trust issues. I am always afraid that anything I attach will fall off, so I have to use multiple methods. Sometimes I glue AND sew something, but this time I decided to use a different method. I used the good ol' fall back of Mod Podge and tissue paper. It has multiple perks. One, those letters are NEVER coming off. Two, the tissue becomes see through with the Mod Podge and provides a good base color. Three, it provides some texture. One problem, I liked the way it was looking with just the word and the tissue paper. I was hesitant to paint over it. What if I didn't like my painting as much? (sorry, I was doing an IV treatment while I painted so all the stuff is laying on the table ... along with the more basic mess) But I went ahead and started squirting paint on it. Yes, I use the real artistic method of squirting it right on the canvas a lot of the time. And this is how it came out. A bit different than my normal paintings, but it is growing on me. This will be put in my etsy shop as soon as I can get a good picture of it. And hopefully my mojo will come out of hiding.

2 comments:

Kathleen said...

Mod podge and tissue paper...two of my favorite things! Love this one!!!

Unknown said...

This is awesome! I love your writing and project. :D