Tuesday, August 14, 2007

My Baby Started School!!!

It is official ... my baby is growing up. Katie started Kindergarten on Monday. With the joy of diabetes we spent the weeks before the actual start of school meeting with the county nurse and the school counselor. And they had to train all the people that Katie would be coming in contact with. There are just so many things that we did not have to think of when we were in school. One : we have to worry about lockdowns! We have to have enough stuff packed for at least 24 hours, just in case ... Is it not enough to entrust her for the 7 hours that she has to be gone? How freaky is that to even contemplate her being locked in for a whole day. If anyplace near the school is robbed they have to lockdown. All you criminals out there better stay away from Horn Lake!!
So, we actually made it to the first day. We all ended up sleeping in Katie's room. She has a tent set up with her old crib mattress that she insists on sleeping in. And Chip and I ended up on the twin size bed ... so comfy especially with a six month belly! The alarm went off and Katie jumped up and said "Up and at 'em!" How can she be so excited about leaving us?? Then the fun of getting her dressed. She claimed she was cold and made me put her little jacket on her ... and then wore it all the way into the school. Now it was not 106 degrees like it was later, but it was plenty warm. We got her fed, her insulin shot, and loaded in the car. Oh, did I mention the bags of stuff we had to bring with us. She has to have a box of snacks for getting her sugar up and to get it down. And she has to have a carry pack to take anytime she leaves the classroom. Thank goodness we had taken all her supplies to Open House. Anyway, we got her there and in her seat. She started coloring right away. Chip and I had to talk to the teachers and make sure everything was under control. I went over to tell her goodbye, and she must have misunderstood me because she stood up and started walking toward the door. "Why do I have to go?" she pouted!! When I told her that she could stay but Daddy and I had to go, she went right back to her seat and started coloring again ... perfectly happy.
Neither of us cried. I got close on the walk in, thinking what a long walk we had back to the car without her. And Chip said he got a bit choked up saying goodbye. Then we went home and tried to kill some time. It was definitely starnge to be home without her!! We did get two calls in the morning about her blood sugar being high, but none the rest of the day. Still, our hearts jumped everythime the phone rang. And we counted down the time until we could pick her up. I tried to scrapbook but was so brain dead that nothing much happened. Chip played on the computer, so he had little use for his brain :)
It was so good to see her little face when we picked her up!!! She was so tuckered that she fell asleep in the car on the way home, but she perked up when her little buddy Lucas came over to play in the pool. But after a full day of school and playing int he pool for an hour she was BEYOND TIRED, and she couldn't stop pouting and crying. I can't wait until we can get her on a good sleep schedule!!!
Her second day of school is looking much less eventful. No calls yet!! She had to wear white while they learn their colors. What kid does not know their colors by kindergarten?!?!?!?!