Friday, April 1, 2011

442 Crochet Ball - Free Pattern and Fiber Arts Friday

In defense of my stash of crochet eggs I had to come up with something to distract the kids. I was tired of finding eggs all over the house. I am not quite ready to play Easter Egg Hunt just yet (though Katie bought two bags of plastic eggs and some candy to play with her friends). I grabbed my yarn and just made it up as I went along... then I tried to remember exactly what I did. That is probably backwards, but it is how it usually works with me.
Of course, that ball has mysteriously disappeared. I made this multicolored ball today, and within two hours of Katie being home it was missing ... and when found it was dirty and covered with bits of grass. The pattern worked out great(and mostly I wanted to test it to see if it was readable).
Well, not great. I was unhappy with how the decreases looked when done with the different colors, although they didn't show too much in a solid color. It might work out if I had skipped a hole to decrease instead of yarning through two before joining. And yes, I am working this out in my head as I type, so just ignore the ramblings. :)
 Ball (with decreases)

worsted weight
F hook
yarn needle
stuffing

(2sc) will indicate that two single crochet stitches are done in one opening/hole
(sc2t) decrease by joining two stitches together. Yarn through two openings before joining

Chain 2
R1- 8 sc in furthest hole from hook [8]
R2- 3sc, (2sc), 3sc, (2sc) [10]
R3- 4sc, (2sc), 4sc, (2sc) [12]
R4- 1sc, (2sc) repeat 6 times [18]
R5- 2sc, (2sc) repeat 6 times [24]
R6- 4sc, (2sc) repeat 5 times [30]
R7&8- sc each around [30]
R9- 3sc, (sc2t) repeat 6 times [24]
R10- 2sc, (sc2t) repeat 6 times [18]
R11- 1sc, (sc2t) repeat 6 times [12]
STUFF STUFF STUFF - I like mine firm, you can roll between your hands when you are done to give it more of a ball shape.
R12- 4sc, (sc2t) repeat 2 times [10]
R13- 3sc, (sc2t) repeat 2 times [8]
R14- (sc2t) repeat 4 times [4]
R15- (sc2t) skip one, yarn though and slipstitch to finish.
Weave in your ends.


But like I said I wasn't happy with the decreases, so I figured the only way to get out of decreasing was to make two identical halves and stitch together.

Ball (no decreases)


worsted weight
F hook
yarn needle
stuffing

Make Two!

Chain 2
R1- 6sc in furthest hole from hook [6]
R2- (2sc) repeat 6 times [12]
R3- 1sc, (2sc) repeat 6 times [18]
R4- 2sc, (2sc) repeat 6 times [24]
R5- 3sc, (2sc) repeat 6 times [30]

R6&7-sc around [30]
Slipstitch to secure end
Leave at least 12-16 inches of yarn to stitch halves together.

 Position the two halves together, using one side's tail first stitch around ...

 leave a small opening to stuff through
 After stuffing sew to close.
I then took the other tail and stitched back around just to be DOUBLE sure it stayed together.
 The second round of stitches created that little ridge. I don't mind it, but I just wanted to warn you.

 The white balls were done with an acrylic worsted weight yarn, and the multicolored is a Lily & Cream cotton yarn.

Something quick to work up, and fun for your kids ... or a cat ;).

I also created my own egg pattern, but that will have to wait.
Happy Crafting!

Linked up this post at ....
Join  us Saturdays at tatertotsandjello.com for the weekend wrap 
 up           party!

Funky Junk's Saturday Nite Special

1 comments:

Julie said...

I am definitely into crocheting these days. I've never done anything like this. Thanks so much for sharing the pattern.